People have asked about publishing Opinion-editorial pieces on the New Music Seminar site. Therefore, we started the “Opinions” section.
This is the place for those seeking a platform to discuss radical points of view that are different from news editorials. Bring it on!
For consideration to have your piece published, see below.
What We’re Looking for:
- Written Pieces or Video Segments from Musicians and People in the business.
- Opinions that stir up a conversation.
- Proactive pieces to what’s going on in all sectors of the Music Business.
- Articles and Videos that we feel musicians and the music business will find worthwhile – and create a dialogue.
- Length: Typically 600 to 750 words. 3-5 minute video segments.
- We won’t tell you what to produce, but we may suggest a re-write or clarification of something if we find it confusing or it will help strengthen your argument.
- NMS will select the accompanying artwork.
To improve the likelihood that your submission will be published:
- Keep it simple and concise – make a single point, and validate it.
- Provide supporting information, whether with data analysis, research, historical, or personal experience.
- Write for a general audience, avoid ‘insider-speak’. Don’t assume the audience will not always know every acronym or internal-office language.
- Write in your own voice. You don’t need to be a Pulitzer prize writer. Your personality is what helps your point sound better.
- Submit your idea for consideration here.
- In the form, you can present 1-3 ideas. A very short description (1-2 sentences) will suffice.
- We will review internally and if one is chosen, we will contact you.
- You will have 2 weeks to complete the piece.
- Depending on our publishing calendar your piece will be published within 1-3 weeks.
Waiver / Disclosure
- If accepted, you will be asked to sign a waiver which gives us the right to publish and laying out some of your responsibilities.
- You must disclose anything that might be seen as a conflict of interest, financial or otherwise. e.g., Are you invested in a company you’re writing about? Can you benefit from a company or person that you are writing about? We simply need to disclose that relationship to the readers.
No article is guaranteed publication / What we will not publish
- Advertorials that promote your company or service.
- Inflammatory articles.
- Plagiarized articles or articles you have previously published. The content you write should be exclusive to New Music Seminar.
Disagree with an Opinion piece?
- Go ahead and post article’s comment section to continue the discussion.
- If you’d like to publish your own rebuttal you can write a Letter to the Editor.
- The views and opinions expressed in the Opinions articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of New Music Seminar, and/or its owners, staff, partners, or sponsors.
View all Opinion pieces here.